Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My First Framed Piece

I picked up my first ever framed stitching piece from the framers last week. I started this project last October while on vacation at the Outerbanks of North Carolina. It was fall at the time, which inspired the interest in this piece. I love how it turned out!


Prairie Schooler primitive sampler design finished in autumn silks and a weathered frame. This will be the first piece I actually keep for myself.


I first learned to stitch from my Grandma Gladys, who came to stay with us when I was sick with the chicken pox. In between bouts of calamine lotion and chicken noodle soup, she taught me the basics of embroidery and cross stitch. Ever the crafty one, my grandma passed along a love for such things to me and I have played with fabrics and fibers ever since.

If Grandma Gladys was my first teacher, then my mom is definitely my biggest fan. I know that she doesn't necessarily understand the mind of someone who would fiddle around with such miniature things for hours on end, yet she is the one who has my first attempts hanging on her walls. If I were half so talented in the art of turning anything you like into interior decor, I would be a lucky girl indeed!

I am now on to my next stitching obsession--a Quaker style sampler with 20+ motifs organized around the single word 'Forgiveness'. This one is a huge project, but I've already got all my stuff and I'm ready to go. According to my calculations, I should post a picture of the finished thing right here on this blog sometime in 2011. :)

Kristin