Friday, August 01, 2008

Little Ears

One never knows when little ears are listening. More importantly, one never knows when little ears have been listening and will find an opening to share information learned while listening to about 50 strangers in a public setting. Case in point:

A couple of days ago Taylor and I stopped at a local restaurant for a mid-afternoon snack. We were waiting for pictures to be developed at a neighboring store and it was about 100 degrees outside. Lemonade was in order. We went into the restaurant and placed our order. She got a quesadilla and lemonade, I ordered a chicken taco and some iced tea. Perfectly normal, nothing going on to indicate the conversation that was about to ensue. The server behind the counter asked me if I wanted any sauce on my taco. I asked for medium sauce, then reconsidered and pointed to a bowl full of something that looked better than my original choice. She said, "Oh, that's the super hot sauce! Are you sure you want some? Maybe you should try a dab first." Before I could answer Taylor pipes up and says, "You don't want that Mom! It'll give you Fire in the Hole! Remember? Then you'll get the Ring of Fire too!"

Before I finish the above story, let me remind you of a book I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Namely, What Your Poo is Telling You. That uproariously funny book that I discovered via my friend Abby. Let me also remind you that Taylor was present during our yukking it up over several entries in the book. I should have known better.

Without going into great descriptive detail about Fire in the Hole or the Ring of Fire, let me tell you that Taylor not only remembered what they were, she described in minute detail to the staff exactly why they should be avoided at all costs. She also remembered the name of the book and highly recommended it to anyone who asked. The staff were having a hey day with all of this. The guy that took our money at the end of the line wanted to give Taylor all the money in his tip bucket just for making his day. The manager of the store was called out front to partake in this fun. The line leader was developing warning signs to put up in front of the hot sauce. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HAAAAAAA. Everyone thought this was immensely funny. I was busy looking for a shovel, any shovel that happened to be handy, in order to dig a very large hole.

When we got back to the car, I proceeded to have a 10 minute discussion with Taylor about one of the cardinal rules of our house. You do not, under any circumstances, share family humor with strangers. Yes, people that take your order at a restaurant are strangers, even if their first or last name is Anthony. Yes, this rule will be enforced even if you are right and are making a great point. No, this rule does not apply to the dog. He is family even if he is a dog and we aren't. Etc., etc.

I know what you're all thinking. I should have been able to see this coming a mile away. After almost seven years of motherhood this was highly predictable and should have been expected. Several days after the event, I still don't know what to say. All I know for sure is if I ever again get the desire for food from that restaurant, I'm sending my husband or I'm driving all the way across town to the other store to get it!

Kristin