Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fishing With Dad

The trail to paradise...

John and Taylor went fishing together for the first time yesterday evening. The day was spent preparing for the event. Fishing license? Check. Tackle and gear? Check. Bait? Check. Where to fish? Well, this was a problem for a while, until our neighbor helped the dynamic duo out. After much discussion of the merits of about 20 places around Fort Collins to go fishing, John and Taylor decided to try their luck at Harmony Ponds.


Fishing in pink plaid madras is really the only way to go.


The story that ensues is one that will become legendary in our household. According to both participants, they had been fishing for just a few minutes. Taylor was reeling in her hook and
bobber for another try at casting when a fish at the very edge of the pond came up out of the grasses and jumped onto the hook! Taylor 'caught' her first fish! Woo hoo! John says that Taylor was so excited she couldn't think straight and had tears of joy in her eyes. She literally couldn't believe it. She promptly named her first catch "Jennifer the Magic Fish", posed with her catch and then released the fish back into the water to become another fisher's dream.


Jennifer the Magic Fish, a baby blue gill.

Taylor promptly left me two cell phone messages (each a minute apart) to let me in on the tremendous news. Two pictures were sent as proof of her triumph of the day. I had to laugh. I was on my way downtown to meet 'my peeps' for a girls' night out and to do some catch-up on what was going on in our lives. I was 15 minutes late because when I called Taylor back to share in her excitement--she could not stop talking! I loved it. Her enthusiasm about life is one of the things I love best about her. Well, that and a billion other things...


The proof! If you look closely, you can tell Taylor is
still a little verklempt.

After Jennifer the Magic Fish swam away, many more nibbles and almost-catches ensued. The two tried for another hour to recreate the magic of their first few minutes, but no luck. I suspect that any other fish caught would have paled in comparison to Jennifer anyway.


The proud and patient papa.


I suspect that many more fishing expeditions are in our near future. Another neighbor of ours (and grandfather to Taylor's friend and classmate) gave John a registration form for a non-competitive fishing derby for kids. Taylor and her friend are going to enter together and spend a day in August seeing how many fish they can catch and release in one afternoon. Sounds like fun to us!

And Jennifer, wherever you are today, a note of thanks from me. You performed a feat worthy of an Olympian and in the process made my daughter so happy she cried for joy. Thanks for taking one for the team! I hope your mouth has recovered and you live to be a ripe old age.

Kristin