Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Learning to Speak Chinese

Christmas Morning 2007.
Taylor is sporting her new pink 'Chinese' kimono she got from Santa.

Anyone who knows Taylor very well knows that she is in love with all things Asian. Kimonos, silk fans, tiny tea cups and tea pots, jade figurines, Japanese animation series, artwork and good luck kitties--she loves it all.

Knowing this very well myself, it should come as no surprise that she has decided she wants to learn how to speak Chinese. She asks me on a daily basis what the Chinese word is for something: a dog? a cat? a book?

Today she came up to me and started the process in reverse. She politely interrupted my reading to ask me, "Mom, is javina (she pronounced it jahv-eye-nah) Chinese?" I thought for a second, then said, "What? That's not even a word Taylor!" She insisted several times that it was indeed a word. I repeatedly (futilely) told her that no, it is not a word!

Temporarily defeated, but undaunted, she left for a few minutes, then returned and picked up right where she left off. "Mom! It is too a word and it rhymes with China!" She stares at me stubbornly. So I then asked her, "Well, if it really is a word, what does it mean?" Thinking this would end the discussion. She immediately responded with, "It means what girls call their parts Mom".

Waiting....

Waiting...


My light bulb goes on!

I start laughing like crazy. "OH, you mean vagi..." I couldn't say it! I use the word on a daily basis at work, have even talked to Taylor about that word and what it means, yet I couldn't cough it up. Oh, but it was too funny! I explained to Taylor that no, that word is NOT Chinese, even though it rhymes with China. She was finally satisfied in her quest for knowledge and I now have a priceless memory to put in my stash.

Kristin