Monday, November 24, 2008

Miscellania and Etceteria


Bonnie Bunny Buns is all cuddled up in Taylor's baby blanket--the one
she started using her first week of life and still snuggles up with
every night at bedtime.


I sent Taylor off to school today and came home to find her snuggle buddy all swaddled up and napping in her bunny nest. Too cute! When I asked her about it later, she reported a wild tale of Bonnie Bunny Buns being up all night and requiring a sleeping pill and the use of her blanket to sleep during the daytime. ;)

************************************************************************************

A week or so before Halloween, John came home after a night's work to tell Taylor and I how he single-handedly caught a robber at work. Taylor and I both said the same thing simultaneously:

"WHAT?!?"

John told us that he went outside just before midnight to take one of his 15 minute breaks. About halfway through, he heard the sound of breaking glass. With little effort, he eye-spied a young man breaking out the windows of cars parked in the PVH parking lot. Once the windows were broken, the guy proceeded to take whatever he thought was valuable. John watched him for a couple of minutes, then called 9-1-1 and told the operator what was happening. Three police cars arrived within minutes, with lights off, and used the directions John provided over the phone to catch the guy and take him away in cuffs.

John filled out an eyewitness report and talked to the police for a little bit. The guy had managed to take cell phones, cameras, car stereo equipment, CD's, etc. out of several different cars in just a matter of minutes. Apparently he had a long record of such crimes and knew what he was doing. Now he's looking at some serious jail time.

Wow! All in a day's work, huh? We've been wondering if John will be called on to provide anything other than his original statement. Haven't heard hide nor hair of the event since it happened. The guy apparently realized he was caught red-handed guilty, or it takes quite a while to get these things through the system. Either way, John gave Taylor a cool story to tell at school!

************************************************************************************

I bought a new curling iron the other day. Mine was a complete disaster, with the spring hinge practically falling off, the thumb press off and a permanent spiral twist in the cord. Taylor spied a really cool looking hot pink number, complete with LED lights to show when the iron is heated up. When I took it out of its package, I was greeted with this friendly warning:


Thank God this warning was included in the package!
A lifetime of blindness was narrowly
averted by such progressive thinking on the part of the manufacturer!

Seriously people! What grotesque comedy of errors (and litigation) was required to prompt the manufacturer to put this warning on their product? Good grief. I want to meet the person that was able to burn their eyeballs with a curling iron. It truly deserves some kind of award. Perhaps someone who lost their eyelids as a child?

I've burned many things with my own curling iron, including a narrow miss
with very tender areas (don't use your curling iron when naked), but I can't imagine how anyone could do this, no matter how hard they tried. Wouldn't you blink? Burned eyelids, maybe. Eyeballs? I don't think so.

Even funnier? The "do-not-use-this-product-near-water/risk-of-electric-shock" warning was nowhere to be found. Huh.

************************************************************************************

Taylor is busy practicing the first 9 moves of her new orange belt form. They're pretty cool-looking, if I do say so myself. Here's a picture of her doing a double outer forearm block.


Taylor tries for a perfect block. Harder than it looks!
I was practicing with her the other day and was disturbed to find out
how fast a 7 year old can be. :)

***********************************************************************************************

My neighbor was kind enough to provide me with a spur-of-the-moment "Make Your Own Chai" tutorial last week. Most people who know me fairly well know that I'm something of a tea junkie. I absolutely love hot chai tea, but find most of the commercial blends way too sweet. Hence the desire to make my own. In less than an hour, my neighbor had explained everything and I was all set to try my first pot.

Sweet success! Well, in my case, not-so-sweet success. And that's just how I like it!

************************************************************************************

Have a great week everyone!

Kristin