Friday, October 10, 2008

How Do You Spell Chalk

I have remarked frequently on the surprising difficulty of the spelling lists that Taylor brings home in her homework packet each week. Words like residential and herbivore can trick up a few adults I know, let alone a 2nd grade girl. Still, Taylor has done a great job of practicing the words until she can get them right.

Imagine my surprise when she comes home with a spelling test in which she spelled the word chalk incorrectly. I'm thinking to myself, "Gee. If she can whip residential into shape, what's the problem with a sound-it-out word like chalk?" Then I take a look at her pretest to see exactly how she spelled the word.

She spelled it like this.

C-O-C-K

Whoa, Nellie! What???? Whoa!

My first thought is that I'm going to have to have another "special" meeting with her teacher. You know the kind. The ones that take place when something a little disturbing has happened in school that involves your child and they want you to come up with an explanation. And a plan.
Before you get worried, Taylor hasn't actually needed a special meeting yet, the first time was a false alarm.

My second thought is that I might need to get her hearing tested.

My final thought is that I'm going to have to have a talk with her and it might as well be now. So I ask her. What exactly did you think she said? Taylor answered me. I asked her if she knew the difference between the word chalk and the word cock. And I will have you know this. I may not always perform the myriad duties of motherhood with enough perfection to win any awards, but I managed to ask her this important question with a straight face! No laughing, not even so much as a smothered smirk. Straight face. I was immensely proud of myself.

Taylor responded very matter-of-factly.
"Chalk", she said, "is the white sticks you write on a blackboard with". "Cock", she said, "is a really mean chicken". Hallelujah! No conference with the teacher! Although my Mother of the Year award did go down the drain at this point. I couldn't possibly NOT laugh at her second definition. No way. :)


Kristin