Sunday, May 18, 2008

Good Day For Gardening

Wow! What a great day to be outside in Fort Collins. 85 degrees, a little breeze, dirt and plants up to my knees. I spent the better part of this afternoon transplanting the rest of my vegetable starts into their final containers and raised beds. After weeks and weeks of waiting, it's officially outdoors time for the container plants!

Taylor was my right-hand man, officially in charge of the garden hose and water buckets. Even at almost-seven she can amuse herself for hours with the hose sprayer attachment and its many settings. According to her research today the 'jet' setting is best for target practice, the 'shower' setting fills the buckets up the quickest and the only setting you want to use when pointing the hose at yourself is 'mist'. I'm sure you can figure out how she determined that pearl of wisdom. :)

Taylor's top choice for the flower garden.


I haven't always been as gung-ho about gardening as I am these days. It used to be a small miracle for me to keep any kind of plant alive for more than a week. I can't even begin to count all of the houseplants that have died under my watch. A little knowledge can go a long way in the plant world though, as evidenced by how well my African Violet plants are doing. My mom gave me two little slips in dirt last summer and now they are growing like crazy. We'll see how long I can keep it up...

Kristin