Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 Week 4



Taylor tested for the next level of achievement in Tae Kwon Do--BLACK BELT recommended!


Taylor is back in the Tae Kwon Do thing like crazy. She took most of December off, thinking that after 2.5 years straight, some time off was not only desired, but needed. One month later, she's accepted her black belt recommended and will test for her 1st degree black belt in April. When I asked her what she thought of her accomplishment, she asked me, "Is it possible to be this excited and scared out of my mind all at the same time?!?!??". She's a little nervous about testing for black belt, because the board breaks are real wood and the self defense moves are pretty tricky. I'm so proud of her. It's hard to be scared and do it anyway--one of life's biggest lessons.
"Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage and confidence in the doing."

The Grey Ghost rolled over 100K this week!

Another milestone occurred this week--my old jalopy rolled over 100K on the odometer. I bought this car the same year I married John. 12+ years ago. When I bought it, I never thought I'd still be zipping around in it over a decade later. Funny thing though. As much as I dream of the day when I will (finally!) get a new car, I already know I'll cry to see this one go. So many awesome things have happened in my life since the day I bought it. It's the car that we brought Taylor home from the hospital in, made road trips to Grandma Lou's in, went to our first anniversary dinner date in, took Boo and Sally for tons of drives in. The list goes on and on. Lots of life and love has happened with the ol' Grey Ghost. When the day comes to put her out to pasture, it'll be bittersweet for sure.

Maximus and his father. One of my favorite NILMDTS photos.
Picture courtesy of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, used with permission C2011


The past two weeks have been difficult ones at work. Two families have experienced the death of their baby. Two families going home with empty arms, someone missing. It never gets any easier, this kind of loss. We have, however, come around to a much better way of handling such loss. Rather than saying such cold, bleak words as, "It wasn't meant to be. You'll have another", grieving the loss is now acceptable, encouraged, sought. Parents are given the chance to hold, love and cherish their precious child. Show their devotion and dedication. Say to their child, "we love you and will never forget you. You have blessed us with your life." So powerful.

e.e. cummings wrote a poem containing his vision and hope of what a heaven might look like. The description included this line: "a heaven of blackred roses, something stunning, defying words". I would like to think that such a beauty exists, somewhere.
Kristin