Saturday, January 08, 2011

2011 Week 2

This week contained several chances (and reminders) to enjoy the process, not just the results.

First chance? Taylor's Girl Scout Cookie Exchange. Her troop holds a cookie exchange the week they kick off cookie sales for the year. In the past I have grumbled about it, procrastinated about it, then begrudgingly made cookies for it at the very last minute. Sounds like LOADS of fun, doesn't it? This year I decided to try something new, using ready-to-bake cookie buttons, some frosting and some colored sugar. The results were a hit with Taylor and I actually enjoyed making them!


Rudolph Sandwich Cookies

Next chance? Resuming running. After several interruptions in December, I'm back on track with my training to get ready for a 10K and possibly a half marathon road race this year. Becoming a runner is all about process. It certainly doesn't happen overnight, nor does it happen in a quick and effortless fashion. In fact, it will probably take me the better part of this year to get to the point where I'm ready to run those races. And that's if everything goes right! But I want to try. I want to see how I handle the progress, improvements, setbacks, possible injuries, changes in the plan. I want to see how it feels to say to myself, "It's okay to do something for you". Then do it. :)


Asics Nimbus 12--my running BFF's. :)

At the end of the week, I also had the chance to spend the day with Taylor and enjoy the process of being a mother. We started our Saturday by bringing Taylor to the hairdresser so she could go through a 'process' of her own. Here's the result:


Hot pink!

We spent the rest of our day going out for lunch, visiting the cupcakery (where she got an extra $5 punch on her punch card for having fabulous hair!), shopping, going to the library, going to the movie store, playing a video game together and wrestling with the dog. Not once did I worry about what I got done for the day. I just spent the day, moment by moment, with one of the best people in my world. And enjoyed the process.

Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.
--John F. Kennedy